In a comment observer asks why a three man ref system for the Sectional title game. This is not written in stone, but I guess the answer why the section has gone to a three man crew for the Division II title game lies in one of these three reasons:
1 - The style of play in the last NH - Clinton game.
2 - The atmosphere in the Arena tonight in light of this great rivalry.
3 - What's at stake (or steak, if your hungry).
I do know that the three man set will be the ECAC model, which mean two guys with armbands and one linesman. Personally, you get the same numbers of eyes calling plays, but an extra cop and I'm not sure if that trade off against the awkward mechanics of that system gives an advantage. Most high school games are done using the traditional two man crew. They do that so much the mechanics come naturally. A three man crew is not only foreign, I have thought while watching U.C. and Colgate play that incorporating two refs in that system is cumbersome. But, that's me!
xjrapp24 noted in a comment something that has been hinted at elsewhere, the notion that New Hartford senior defenseman Jon Furgal would skate tonight. I did talk with New Hartford coach John Cunningham and he says that Furgal has been on skates but just shagging pucks. Unless Furgal's doctor says OK, Jon remains on the sideline. That OK had not been given as of Friday morning. Furgal underwent an appendectomy the day after the Super Bowl. That's three week ago and, while I'm not a doctor, I've had surgery...that's a small window to climb thrgough to get from the recovery room or the ice rink.
Remember, if you can't get to the Clinton Arena tonight...I'll blog from there. If you can't get to your computer tonight...go to the NewsChannel 2 Alerts at the top of our webpage. Click it and they'll walk you through the process to get text messages on your cell phone. I'll text you after each goal and at the end of each period. You can discontinue the alert Saturday so you don't get unwanted messages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment