Sunday, February 17, 2008

And Now There Are Four

How did we get here? There are only a handful of high school teams left playing, two of them are from 3-2-E. They are the top two teams, the Warriors. Let’s talk about how they and their opponents got here.

Whitesboro 4 – Cortland Homer 0
I’ve got to tell you, as I kept getting early score updates from the Rec. Center I kept saying to myself and others, they can’t let that team hang around too long. If you’re supposed to beat a team, get it done ASAP so you can minimize your exposure to possible complications. But, The Warriors who wear blue seemed to be in control and got a comfortable 4-0 win, limiting Cortland Homer to only 15 shots for the game.

Corcoran 4 – RFA 3
Only a fan from the west would be surprised by this one. The Black Knights got goals from three different players, including freshman star TJ Reilley. The Cougars big man, literally, Jim Cathhers had two goals. Corcoran will give Whitesboro a good test. The difference could be Jack Lambe.

Clinton 8 – Solvay 4
Because a lot of folks want to know, Boo Snyder didn’t look 100%. I know he was tired after the game. Personally, I wonder about the mono diagnosis. I’m no doctor, but I occasionally play a sportscaster on TV…I had mononucleosis when I was Boo’s age and it beat the hell out of me. I remember lying in bed and watching dragons come through the ceiling. Ah, good times. If the worse Snyder had was swollen glands…well, I’m no doctor. Still, at less than full strength, Snyder had a goal and three assists. Ryan Bassett sometime looked unstable in goal, but got the job done as the Warriors in Maroon advanced.

Skaneateles 3 – New Hartford 1
Who can figure this team out. The Spartans have one of the best offensive line ups in the section, and yet in almost half their games this season they scored 3 or less goals. The Spartans put 27 shots on goal against Skaneateles, but could only get 1 across the goal line. I don’t understand it. You can’t take anything away from the Lakers, they’ve been highly ranked in both polls for most of the season. But, they couldn’t get things going until the second period. Their top two, Keith Buehler and Tory Cole, did all the scoring.

No comments: